Skip to main content
Mauling trial jurors explain verdicts



“From our point of view, her testimony was not believable,” said Don Newton, 64, foreman of the seven-man, five-woman panel that convicted Knoller and her husband Thursday in the death of Diane Whipple, 33.
And amen! I'll admit right off that I don't like dogs all that much. They're tolerable when they belong to someone else, but I am definitely not a dog person. (Though they seem to like me, especially the huge ones, like Rotts. Strange. Sorta like a cat rubbing up against the one person in the room that absolutely despises cats.)



Apparently their case was not helped by letters written to the dogs' owner...who is in state prison, and whose mail is subject to review before delivery, and thus were entered as evidence in the trial.



Two weeks before the attack, Noel wrote about an incident in which the dogs frightened Whipple as she entered the building’s elevator. In the letter, Noel referred to Whipple as a “timorous little mousy blond.”



After the attack, he wrote another letter bemoaning the death of Bane and vowing to fight for the life of Hera. “Neighbors be damned,” he wrote. “If they don’t like living in the building with her, they can move.”
Now there is a compassionate soul. His dogs kill a woman and it's here fault, "Let my dogs live!" Is there any greater example of how out of whack things are in the world today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have I mentioned I saw Monsters vs. Aliens?

It’s possible that Pixar is becoming a blight on the world of animation. Yes, they do some really great work ( The Incredibles , Ratatouille ), but they’ve also done some clunkers ( Cars , Wall-E ). Their greatest sin, though, is that they apparently radiate a variation of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, so that any other animated film – especially if done with CG – is automatically judged inferior. There is some justification to this, but you don’t see every live action film being compared to, say, the films of Ingmar Bergman (well, except by brooding people wearing dark glasses sitting in dim coffee shops smoking clove cigarettes discussing cinema, damn you ). In the traditional film world, it’s accepted that different artists turn out different products. In the animated world, everyone is supposed to match or surpass Pixar, or so it seems. Needless to say, that’s just a crock. Monsters vs Aliens is to your typical Pixar production as Spielberg is to Scorsese. And I h...

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered....

I (Briefly) Try a Mac

 I Bought a Mac. My first computer was an Atari 800, fully loaded with 48k of RAM. And I mean the original, beige model, not its low-slung, fancy successor. My friend went for an Apple IIe, which cost a relative fortune. Eventually, I’d step up to an Atari 1040ST, while he’d get a IIgs. And even more eventually, we both ended up with IBM PC compatibles. MSDOS was my friend, Unix an ally. It was with great reluctance that I transition from a command-line interface (CLI) to a Graphic User Interface (GUI), always on a PC platform and never a Mac. I never bought into the hype and never experienced all the horrid things that allegedly befell anyone using a PC. For me, they just worked. Yet here I am, these many decades later, typing this on a brand-new MacBook Air M4. How things change... Initially, there was little regret but a mounting list of frustrations. Adjusting to the keyboard isn’t too hard, it’s just a matter of experimentation. Learning how to scale the display wasn’t awful, ...