Skip to main content
Now it's "child abuse"? So first, a little background on the convicted (as well as a reminder of the case):



Information Please: Mary Kay Letourneau



36–year-old Tacoma, Wash., schoolteacher, was ordered to serve her suspended 71/2 year child-rape sentence after being found with the 14-year-old student with whom she had a baby last year. In October, LeTourneau gave birth to a second baby fathered by the same boy. No new charges were brought against her.
Remember now? The plea was that theirs was a loving relationship, that he was a mature young boy. Heck, there was even the claim that he (the at the time 12-year-old) was a sexual predator, the aggressor, the one who started it all. She (breathless sigh) was a confused innocent. At her own website (yes, Mary Kay has an "official" website) she has a list of 27 Points which she closes with:



These are the questions that I pray will bring good people together to force a complete circle of logic and light, so that there isn't anymore in this (or other people's) life situations, a question of "If... then, Why?" but instead a peaceful and just acknowledgement of "If... then, Therefore."
She doesn't claim to be a victim, insisting rather that she and the boy had a mature and loving relationship, one that The State had no right to interfere with. So in today's news....



Jurors Clear Police, School District in Teacher-Sex Case



The verdict followed a nine-week trial in which former student Vili Fualaau's lawyer claimed the relationship was "torture, not true love," and left Fualaau suicidal and unemployable, with two young daughters he's ill-equipped to care for.
See, he and his mother sued because of the tremendous mental damage this illegal sexual relationship caused. So much for maturity, which was the point of the prosecution, that Mary Kay, as the adult, should have understood the damage she was ultimately causing Vili, her victim.



And if you doubt that he's a victim, swap the genders. An adult Vili has sex with a 12-year-old Mary Kay. Gets her pregnant. Twice, the second time while on parole. Is there any state in the United States where he'd be doing less than life, or at least a whole lot more than seven years? Mary Kay's rambling "points" remind me of the same logic used by the North American Man/Boy Love Association. Which is to say it is the logic of a sexual predator.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have I mentioned I saw Monsters vs. Aliens?

It’s possible that Pixar is becoming a blight on the world of animation. Yes, they do some really great work ( The Incredibles , Ratatouille ), but they’ve also done some clunkers ( Cars , Wall-E ). Their greatest sin, though, is that they apparently radiate a variation of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, so that any other animated film – especially if done with CG – is automatically judged inferior. There is some justification to this, but you don’t see every live action film being compared to, say, the films of Ingmar Bergman (well, except by brooding people wearing dark glasses sitting in dim coffee shops smoking clove cigarettes discussing cinema, damn you ). In the traditional film world, it’s accepted that different artists turn out different products. In the animated world, everyone is supposed to match or surpass Pixar, or so it seems. Needless to say, that’s just a crock. Monsters vs Aliens is to your typical Pixar production as Spielberg is to Scorsese. And I h...

Dune Part 2 (2024)

I have come not to praise Dune but to bury it. I am in a distinct minority. So be it. To explain why, there will be some minor spoilers ahead; sorry. The short version is #NotMyDune. Summary: Picking up where Dune Part 1 left off, we find the young Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) hanging out with the Fremen. Plots to overthrow rival houses and empires ensue. Go here to see what I thought about Dune Part 1 (2021) . Overall, I found it to be technically brilliant, but lacking a human heart, an exercise in frenetic slow motion. D2 is more of the same, though with far more action. Acting-wise, everyone is doing a fine, more than adequate job. Absolutely no one or nothing stands out. The way the characters are written (adapted, actually), their back and forths and interactions, are all weak and unengaging. I generally hate when they speak. I've read the novel a ridiculous number of times, and these films are prompting me to read it again. I understand that trying to translate the n...

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered....