Skip to main content

Almost completely wrong





Why Conservatives Should Oppose the Death Penalty



So if the government should not have the power to prevent you from adding a room to your landmark house, why should it have the power to kill your neighbor? Without addressing the morality of capital punishment, is it not utterly contradictory for a conservative to espouse a government of limited power, but one that can also kill Americans?
Because almost everyone would agree that defense is The One area where they want to see government in action. This argument is silly on its face, because the opposition to "big government" does not translate as an opposition to government, which is where the author's argument would appear to lead.



Worse, out is trotted the standard line that innocent people have not only been sentenced to death, they've actually been executed. How many? The author states that between 1905 and 1987, twenty. Or, to actually quote, the assertion of one study is that "at least 20 innocent people had been put to death since 1905." The study was published in 1987.



I think it's fair to say that a great many more people have been murdered. I believe a case could be made that a far greater number if killers have never been caught, let alone faced any punishment. But that's neither here nor there, because the real question to be asked is how many more people die because a convicted killer is allowed to live?



My favorite case remains Arthur Shawcross of New York State. He was convicted of kidnapping, raping, and killing two young children (early teens, one boy, one girl) and sentenced to 25 to life, NY State not having the death penalty at the time. After service 12 years of that sentence, he was released on parole. Some time after that, he was arrested again, this time for the murder of at least 11 prostitutes in upper NY State. "At least" because they suspect there were more, but only found 11 bodies.



He was sentenced to 250 years. A summary of Shawcross and such can be found here.



Keeping this one murderer alive cost 11 women their lives. An interesting research project would be to calculate how many other such stories there have been since 1905.



And those are the cold numbers (the cold equations, as Tom Godwin put it). They're not the way to determine the validity of the death penalty, but they are certainly a start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dune Part 2 (2024)

I have come not to praise Dune but to bury it. I am in a distinct minority. So be it. To explain why, there will be some minor spoilers ahead; sorry. The short version is #NotMyDune. Summary: Picking up where Dune Part 1 left off, we find the young Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) hanging out with the Fremen. Plots to overthrow rival houses and empires ensue. Go here to see what I thought about Dune Part 1 (2021) . Overall, I found it to be technically brilliant, but lacking a human heart, an exercise in frenetic slow motion. D2 is more of the same, though with far more action. Acting-wise, everyone is doing a fine, more than adequate job. Absolutely no one or nothing stands out. The way the characters are written (adapted, actually), their back and forths and interactions, are all weak and unengaging. I generally hate when they speak. I've read the novel a ridiculous number of times, and these films are prompting me to read it again. I understand that trying to translate the n...

I (Briefly) Try a Mac

 I Bought a Mac. My first computer was an Atari 800, fully loaded with 48k of RAM. And I mean the original, beige model, not its low-slung, fancy successor. My friend went for an Apple IIe, which cost a relative fortune. Eventually, I’d step up to an Atari 1040ST, while he’d get a IIgs. And even more eventually, we both ended up with IBM PC compatibles. MSDOS was my friend, Unix an ally. It was with great reluctance that I transition from a command-line interface (CLI) to a Graphic User Interface (GUI), always on a PC platform and never a Mac. I never bought into the hype and never experienced all the horrid things that allegedly befell anyone using a PC. For me, they just worked. Yet here I am, these many decades later, typing this on a brand-new MacBook Air M4. How things change... Initially, there was little regret but a mounting list of frustrations. Adjusting to the keyboard isn’t too hard, it’s just a matter of experimentation. Learning how to scale the display wasn’t awful, ...

Have I mentioned I saw Monsters vs. Aliens?

It’s possible that Pixar is becoming a blight on the world of animation. Yes, they do some really great work ( The Incredibles , Ratatouille ), but they’ve also done some clunkers ( Cars , Wall-E ). Their greatest sin, though, is that they apparently radiate a variation of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, so that any other animated film – especially if done with CG – is automatically judged inferior. There is some justification to this, but you don’t see every live action film being compared to, say, the films of Ingmar Bergman (well, except by brooding people wearing dark glasses sitting in dim coffee shops smoking clove cigarettes discussing cinema, damn you ). In the traditional film world, it’s accepted that different artists turn out different products. In the animated world, everyone is supposed to match or surpass Pixar, or so it seems. Needless to say, that’s just a crock. Monsters vs Aliens is to your typical Pixar production as Spielberg is to Scorsese. And I h...