Skip to main content
Yahoo! News - Highway Deaths Fall Slightly in 2001



The data released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also showed a surge in highway traffic as air travel plunged after the Sept. 11 hijack attacks. The effect of the increase on overall fatalities remained unclear.



The safety agency reported 6.3 million crashes, of which 37,299 involved at least one fatality. The total number of people killed on U.S. highways fell slightly to 41,730 in 2001 from 41,821 the previous year, while injuries declined by 200,000 to 3 million.



Drunk-driving deaths again made up about 40 percent of all fatalities.



Most of those killed in crashes were not buckled up, a fact that frustrates safety advocates.
When I was learning to drive, over 55,000 were killed each year in motor vehicle accidents, "more than all US soldiers killed in all the years in Vietnam," or some inane comparison like that.



Motorcycle fatalities increased for the fourth straight year and hit their highest level since 1990 at 3,067.
Oops! But I'd like to see how this compares to the increase in motorcycle sales and, tada, the number of riders. There's been a recent resurgence in motorcycle popularity, which started plunging in 1990--oh, such a coincidence, I'm sure.



"I think there is increased attention to protecting children in crashes that has helped lower the number of deaths," said Joan Claybrook, president of consumer group Public Citizen.
Christ, is this silly no-no still around?!?!? Why does anyone ask her a thing, let alone quote her? Why am I quoting her? I think I'll stop!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have I mentioned I saw Monsters vs. Aliens?

It’s possible that Pixar is becoming a blight on the world of animation. Yes, they do some really great work ( The Incredibles , Ratatouille ), but they’ve also done some clunkers ( Cars , Wall-E ). Their greatest sin, though, is that they apparently radiate a variation of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, so that any other animated film – especially if done with CG – is automatically judged inferior. There is some justification to this, but you don’t see every live action film being compared to, say, the films of Ingmar Bergman (well, except by brooding people wearing dark glasses sitting in dim coffee shops smoking clove cigarettes discussing cinema, damn you ). In the traditional film world, it’s accepted that different artists turn out different products. In the animated world, everyone is supposed to match or surpass Pixar, or so it seems. Needless to say, that’s just a crock. Monsters vs Aliens is to your typical Pixar production as Spielberg is to Scorsese. And I h...

Dune Part 2 (2024)

I have come not to praise Dune but to bury it. I am in a distinct minority. So be it. To explain why, there will be some minor spoilers ahead; sorry. The short version is #NotMyDune. Summary: Picking up where Dune Part 1 left off, we find the young Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) hanging out with the Fremen. Plots to overthrow rival houses and empires ensue. Go here to see what I thought about Dune Part 1 (2021) . Overall, I found it to be technically brilliant, but lacking a human heart, an exercise in frenetic slow motion. D2 is more of the same, though with far more action. Acting-wise, everyone is doing a fine, more than adequate job. Absolutely no one or nothing stands out. The way the characters are written (adapted, actually), their back and forths and interactions, are all weak and unengaging. I generally hate when they speak. I've read the novel a ridiculous number of times, and these films are prompting me to read it again. I understand that trying to translate the n...

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered....