Skip to main content

Of Mice and Text Editors

I'm always in search of the ideal word processor, or even a great text editor. So I was amused by an article in the the New York Times Magazine that was cursing Microsoft Word.  It, along with other posts and articles it referred to, was a rallying cry to abandon Word. Amusement became peals of laughter, however, when I realized that all of these articles were written by MacHeads. How they avoided choking on the irony is a mystery to me.

Why do I say this? Because the Mac drove the industry to its current GUI state. Menu here, fancy font there...on and on. Lovely for an operating system, I suppose, but loathsome for a text editor, for when you just want to do some writing. Which is why these articles were hilarious, because they were all written by MacHeads, complaining about the very state of things their beloved Mac created. Not that they thought of it in those terms. Instead, it was all Microsoft's fault.

Beyond the irony, I can sympathize with their plight. Early on in my forays into word processing I discovered that it's far too easy to change things when you use a computer, and so you do. Constantly. Endlessly. A tweak here, a touch there. Oh, maybe this word would look better before that word. Then there are the font choices. Ooh, Verdana looks marvelous, makes Arial look plain, and why do we have to suffer with Courier 12?!? (Once upon a time, I assisted in an on-line writing forum and more than a few participants complained about the font restrictions for manuscript submissions. You tried to explain that the entire industry was geared around Courier mono-spaced but they whined that it "looks ugly!" Strange, but I thought you wanted a reader to marvel over the substance of your words, not the style. But I digress...)

The end result of having access to all this fiddling is that you're doing anything but writing. Eventually, if you apply yourself, you can learn to avoid these tics. Maybe. They always lurk there, however, and they tease your inner editor into coming out to play at the worst time, when you're trying to crank out that all important first draft.

Thus, the search for the perfect creative writing word processor/text editor. To the delight of MacHeads, and to my utter damnation, the best ones appear to be MacOnly software.

Until a couple of years ago, I was content with WordPerfect. Setting a manuscript up was pretty straight forward and I'd been using it since pre-DOS days. When I was in law school, though, I reluctantly started using Word. My entire study group used it, including the guy with the Mac, and it just made it easier to exchange notes and the like. As a result, my writing took on the character of a split personality, with my creative writing being done in WP while scholastic and business work was done in Word. It was a situation that couldn't last, and it didn't. What ended it was MS Word 2007.

Most reviews of Word '07 focus on the elimination of the menus and the introduction of the "ribbon" interface. The learning curve is strange rather than steep, but once your mind clicks to the new lay of the land, it all seems clear, clean, and easy. Microsoft did a marvelous job, throwing out the old and trying to see how well something new new worked. I think it works great.

But what converted me completely was the ability to hide the ribbon. Double-click on a ribbon title and the entire thing goes away. Click next to the ruler and it goes away. In short order, Word appears sparse, bare, neat, clean, unobtrusive. It's almost like looking at the DOS version of WP. The status bar along the bottom of the window shows a real-time word count, plus other ancillary information. It's marvelous.

I spent a little time defining some writing styles, all mono-spaced Courier of course. I set the style, the ribbon goes away, and I'm left with a bare screen. If I maximize the window I can get rid of other desktop distractions and just get to work. Yet often that's not enough, and so I break out Q10.

Q10 is a text editor that makes your computer act like a typewriter. It even clicks as you type (though you can turn that off if you like). When working in Q10 you have a black screen with orange text. It takes over the entire screen, hiding the rest of your computer world away. Along the bottom is a sparse status bar that counts words, pages, and characters. It also shows the file name and the time of day. Other than that, it's just you and your words. You can't do anything fancy. You can't even underline, bold, or italicize.

I cannot stress how much of an effect this has on your writing. You focus on what you're writing and not how you're writing it. It's superb. And since Q10 saves ordinary ASCII text files, they're usable anywhere in the computer world. Once I've a first draft done, it's easy to move it into Word for formatting and letting the inner editor out to play.

Oh, and it's free.

There are, for those who are interested, equivalent programs for the Mac world. Still, though, I just find it ironic that MacHeads are looking for this stuff, distracted by all the hoopla their favored computer created. Too, too funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Wow, it’s been over a year. What a way to get back to this blog because… Are the films of the MCU getting worse? It’s a serious question because the latest that I’ve seen, Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania , are strong arguments that the answer is “yes.” Summary: Ant-Man & Ant-Family get sucked into the quantum realm, where skullduggery is afoot. A load of crap ensues. I’m an Ant-Man fan. I loved the first film despite its flaws. It would have been wonderful to see what Edgar Wright may have wrought. It was clear, though, that replacement director Peyton Reed kept some of Wright’s ideas alive. The result was one of the MCU’s most intimate films, a straight-forward tale of a Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) desperate to remain in his daughter’s life while being “gifted” the life of a superhero. Ant-Man and the Wasp sorta stayed that course, but naturally, because this is the modern MCU, we had to have a female superhero take over, the titular Wasp (Hope van Dyne,

John Wick: Chapter 4

No sense in playing coy, this is a great film. I’ve seen it twice and while I don’t quite love it in the way I love the first, original John Wick , it’s my #2. It’s a little overlong, has some wasted space and time, has one absolutely pointless and useless character, and generally ignores the realities of firefights, falling, getting shot, hit, etc. All that notwithstanding, it’s a great action flick, has a genuine emotional core, and is well worth your time if you’re into that sort of thing. Like I am. Summary: John Wick (Keanu Reeves), last seen saying he was fed up with the High Table, goes to war to obtain his freedom. Some of the most incredible action scenes ever filmed ensue, culminating in a very satisfactory finale and a devastating post-credit scene. The first Wick film was a surprise hit. It was a simple, straight-forward tale of vengeance told in a simple, straight-forward manner. Where it stood out was its devotion to human stunt work, on exploiting long camera shots that

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered.