Skip to main content

Microsoft Surface RT & Me

The iPad is gone. After a year, I never grew comfortable with it. It always seemed a fight. I’m willing to take some of the blame. My biggest issue was how it never really blended into my PC environment. It was always a wrestling match. The problem was driven entirely by the software, both the operating system and the apps. Especially the apps.

For example, while Pages sorta reads/writes Microsoft Word files, it tended to do so while mangling the formatting. And my document formatting it pretty plain Jane. The text editing apps didn’t like to play nice with syncing back and forth. IAWriter is lovely, but syncs best to iCloud, and iCloud syncing works best with the desktop version of IAWriter...which is Mac-only. Etc.

In any event, it’s off at a new home. They’re happy, I’m happy.

Now it’s the Surface RT’s turn to see if it can be a lightweight, tablet-like laptop substitute. So far, so good. First, and no surprise, it ties in perfectly with my PC. Everything syncs via SkyDrive, though not as automatically as I’d like. Still, better than I had with the iPad, especially OneNote files and Word documents.

Second, most complaints about the Surface RT are accurate. It can sometimes be slow to respond (a problem I had with my iPad, too) and the app market is a desert compared to iPad and Android. A higher resolution screen would be nice, but it’s better than my iPad 2 was. I generally don’t miss the apps because it already came with my key apps (OneNote, Word, and Excel, with PowerPoint as a bonus). I also don’t understand some of the app complaints. No dedicated Facebook app? So what? I can use the browser to access the full site. Ditto Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.

But I do wish I could play Plague Inc. on it rather than having to pull out my Kindle Fire HD. And just as with the iPad, reading Kindle books on the Surface RT is rather...silly.

I’m still not used to the Touch Cover keyboard. I either need to practice more or surrender and buy a Type Cover.

Battery life is fine; I can go a couple of days between charges (for comparison, I could go almost three days on my iPad 2). A recent firmware update made a massive improvement to speaker volume. Other tweaks keep improving overall performance. This is one of the things I like. I get monthly firmware updates, meaning that MS is still active with the platform, and each update improves something.

Adding music is a drag and drop affair, or I can sync via the MS cloud. Which is, frankly, half-assed. Xbox Music needs lots of work before it can match what Zune used to do.

The Surface RT includes a MicroSD slot for expanding storage space. This is not as useful as you’d think. You have to mount the card if you want to add any directories on it to your libraries. Even then, the Music and Photo apps won’t automatically scan and read what’s on your SD card. In contrast, the Video app does and is, therefore, the champ. Even with the higher overhead of the Windows RT OS, I still start with more storage space than I had on my iPad, which is no surprise since the RT is starting with twice as much RAM. And I can download all sorts of videos to the SD, so it’s disappointing but functionally a wash.

Right now I’m taking advantage of one of the features I love best, the ability to snap an app to the side and work on another. So I have the music app off to the side while I type. With the iPad I would have had to task switch back and forth; here, I can see the music controls, playlist, etc.

In short, the Surface RT fits now I want to work. If I just wanted a tablet for content consumption, I would happily stay with my Kindle Fire HD. Most of the write-ups I’ve seen content creation on the iPad seem to be written by people running Mac desktops, and in that environment the iPad shines. In mine, it didn’t.

This is not meant as a knock against the iPad. This is more an example of how one tool doesn’t fit all, and isn’t it nice to have diversity?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Wow, it’s been over a year. What a way to get back to this blog because… Are the films of the MCU getting worse? It’s a serious question because the latest that I’ve seen, Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania , are strong arguments that the answer is “yes.” Summary: Ant-Man & Ant-Family get sucked into the quantum realm, where skullduggery is afoot. A load of crap ensues. I’m an Ant-Man fan. I loved the first film despite its flaws. It would have been wonderful to see what Edgar Wright may have wrought. It was clear, though, that replacement director Peyton Reed kept some of Wright’s ideas alive. The result was one of the MCU’s most intimate films, a straight-forward tale of a Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) desperate to remain in his daughter’s life while being “gifted” the life of a superhero. Ant-Man and the Wasp sorta stayed that course, but naturally, because this is the modern MCU, we had to have a female superhero take over, the titular Wasp (Hope van Dyne,

John Wick: Chapter 4

No sense in playing coy, this is a great film. I’ve seen it twice and while I don’t quite love it in the way I love the first, original John Wick , it’s my #2. It’s a little overlong, has some wasted space and time, has one absolutely pointless and useless character, and generally ignores the realities of firefights, falling, getting shot, hit, etc. All that notwithstanding, it’s a great action flick, has a genuine emotional core, and is well worth your time if you’re into that sort of thing. Like I am. Summary: John Wick (Keanu Reeves), last seen saying he was fed up with the High Table, goes to war to obtain his freedom. Some of the most incredible action scenes ever filmed ensue, culminating in a very satisfactory finale and a devastating post-credit scene. The first Wick film was a surprise hit. It was a simple, straight-forward tale of vengeance told in a simple, straight-forward manner. Where it stood out was its devotion to human stunt work, on exploiting long camera shots that

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered.