Skip to main content

The Frustrating iPad Mini

The sixth generation Apple iPad Mini is such an amazing device, I don’t understand why Apple insists on crippling it. Then again, why be surprised? Apple does this to their entire iPad line.

Anyone who knows me, or even peruses some of my previous posts on tablets, knows that I have a contentious relationship with Apple and, especially, iPads. Hardware-wise, they are above reproach. There are so many little details to their design that I beg others to copy.

For example, I’m a huge fan of the folio cover. At first glance, though, it has a fatal flaw that when opened, and held open by magnets, it blocks the camera. Only you can fold down that top most flap and it will be held open, again by little magnets. The entire affair is solid, easy to hold, and just plain works.

No other tablet I’ve seen comes close to how well Apple does the hardware and all their accessories. For the larger iPads, the Magic Keyboard is a thing of pure joy. The tactile feel is magnificent, the way it holds the tablet at a near-perfect angle is unmatched. Its greatest failing is that it’s heavy, easily doubling the weight of the iPad, but if you type a lot or for a living, this is a no-brainer purchase.

It’s when you actually attempt to be productive that the entire ecosystem falls apart. If you are fully committed to the Apple world, this may not be the case. If you are running a mixed system, something that incorporates Apple, Microsoft, and Samsung (e.g., me), then it’s a disaster on the hoof.

On my Windows 10 desktop or Windows 11 laptop, I can run Word and Scrivener. While I could run Scrivener on my iPad Pro, it insists I use Dropbox for cross-platform syncing. That makes it a non-starter since I use OneDrive for cloud services. Latte & Literature have (or had; I'm not sure they're still relevant) legit reasons for why their iOS version of Scrivener requires Dropbox, but the bottom line for me is that it kills the iOS product.

Word on the iPad feels ridiculously crippled. I’m not sure why this is so, but at the end of the day I find myself fighting the software rather than using it. This doesn’t happen, obviously, on the PCs but it also doesn’t happen if I’m using my Samsung tablet. While Word on Android isn’t as full-featured as on the PC, it has all the tools I need to do what I want to do, unlike Word on iOS. It’s little things, yes, but they add up.

As a result, I gave up on productivity on the iPad and traded my iPad Pro for the new iPad Mini. The sixth-generation device takes on the design language of the Pro and Air models and is gorgeous. Having given up on productivity uses, my Mini becomes a content delivery system and portable game machine, and for these uses it’s near brilliant. Do I miss the high refresh rate display? A wee bit, yes. Do I notice the jelly rolling of the display? A wee bit, yes. Do I care? No, not even a wee bit.

What frustrates me is iPadOS. First, this should be a blisteringly fast tablet. Everything about it screams speed. There is no task that I perform that taxes this system in the slightest. Yet, in daily use the OS feels sluggish and often unresponsive. I tap an icon, nothing happens. I tap a back arrow and nothing happens. I tap a command and nothing happens. I do a slower tap, voila. Seriously? On MS and Android machines, the same tap gets an immediate response. Here, not so much.

The animations drag everything down. They look pretty but slow. Again, both MS and Android just snap and I can tweak the speed if I so desire. But Apple thinks it’s evil for a user to have or exercise such control, so nyet, nein, chotto, etc.

Then there’s the display. Not the screen itself or even the basic resolution, but the font size. There is a difference between iOS and iPadOS when it comes to how things are displayed on the home screen. On an iPhone, icons and text are generally a tad bigger because the display is smaller; on an iPad, they’re smaller became the display is bigger. The Mini sits between these two worlds, yet uses the smaller display settings on the larger iPads. The result is you squint to see things. There are also some icons within apps or controls that become ridiculously small, verging on unusable. I tried to delete a shortcut within the Edge browser and it took half a dozen attempts before I was successful, all because the icon was so very, very tiny.

There is no way, that I can readily find, to correct this. You can opt to use a larger font, but it doesn't affect apps at all. Under Windows, you can use scaling to make everything larger or smaller. Under Android, at least Samsung’s various renditions, you can alter font sizes and screen zoom. Under iPad, no go; it is what it is and you shall adapt, silly peasant.

The result is that while the iPad Mini should be a joy to use it’s more often than not a frustrating experience. If Samsung produced a Tab in this size class with the display tech from its S7+, I would own it in a heartbeat. As it is, Android tablets in the 8” range are low-cost throwaway products. And MS doesn’t even try and compete in this arena.

In all other respects, the Mini is a joy to carry around. Since I got a 5G version it can go anywhere and access data anytime. It teeters right on the verge of being a device that could actually replace my phone. Indeed, it could redefine the concept of what a smartphone is, similar to what Samsung is doing with its Fold series.

But Apple won’t let it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Wow, it’s been over a year. What a way to get back to this blog because… Are the films of the MCU getting worse? It’s a serious question because the latest that I’ve seen, Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania , are strong arguments that the answer is “yes.” Summary: Ant-Man & Ant-Family get sucked into the quantum realm, where skullduggery is afoot. A load of crap ensues. I’m an Ant-Man fan. I loved the first film despite its flaws. It would have been wonderful to see what Edgar Wright may have wrought. It was clear, though, that replacement director Peyton Reed kept some of Wright’s ideas alive. The result was one of the MCU’s most intimate films, a straight-forward tale of a Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) desperate to remain in his daughter’s life while being “gifted” the life of a superhero. Ant-Man and the Wasp sorta stayed that course, but naturally, because this is the modern MCU, we had to have a female superhero take over, the titular Wasp (Hope van Dyne,

John Wick: Chapter 4

No sense in playing coy, this is a great film. I’ve seen it twice and while I don’t quite love it in the way I love the first, original John Wick , it’s my #2. It’s a little overlong, has some wasted space and time, has one absolutely pointless and useless character, and generally ignores the realities of firefights, falling, getting shot, hit, etc. All that notwithstanding, it’s a great action flick, has a genuine emotional core, and is well worth your time if you’re into that sort of thing. Like I am. Summary: John Wick (Keanu Reeves), last seen saying he was fed up with the High Table, goes to war to obtain his freedom. Some of the most incredible action scenes ever filmed ensue, culminating in a very satisfactory finale and a devastating post-credit scene. The first Wick film was a surprise hit. It was a simple, straight-forward tale of vengeance told in a simple, straight-forward manner. Where it stood out was its devotion to human stunt work, on exploiting long camera shots that

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered.