Skip to main content

Tablets, Speed, & Me

I am always on the prowl for the next best thing in portable computers, especially tablets. The result is that right now, I have a lot of different tablets, in several “flavors,” none of which are 100% but several of which are very close. It’s a team effort.

I started this essay using a 2020 iPad Pro 11”, the base model with 128GB of built-in storage. My biggest indulgence this time, as compared to the last time I had an iPad Pro, is that I splurged on LTE connectivity. I’ve come to the conclusion that always having access to the online world is a very, very nice thing, and I hate tethering.

Another big splurge with this iPad is the new Magic Keyboard. The key feel is excellent, and the weight pays for itself with a solid base to work from. I’ve seen some complaints about the lack of a range of adjustment with the display, and I get it but it’s fine for me. As for complaints that the iPad can’t double back onto the keyboard for one-hand use, the way it can with the Folio Keyboard, that doesn’t bother me since the iPad Pro pops off the keyboard with little more effort than a gentle tug.

So that’s my iPad Pro setup. What else do I have on hand? Well, I still have that Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, which remains as nice as ever. Its biggest problem, one shared by all Android tablets, is the complete lack of tablet-specific apps. Maybe they’re out there, but I’ve never found them. The result is that every time you install an app, it’s just as if you were using it on a giant phone, one with a 10” screen. This contrasts with the iPad situation, where you can find apps that are tablet-specific.

Is this a big deal? Well, yes, because it means the market is far less robust. Developers are focused on phone development and never mind the added capabilities of a tablet. Maybe that Lenovo Duet Chromebook is worth a look...

Meanwhile, I’ve still got a pair of Amazon Fire tablets, a 10” and the new 8”. For the money, they really can’t be beat. A little slow, yes, but I’ll come back to that. Their biggest problem is that they are locked into the Amazon world. For using the Amazon apps, this is fine. It’s when you want to use something not supported where things get messy, like Vudu. Most of my video purchase are supported by Movies Anywhere, but not all (e.g., John Wick, damnit) which means that my entire library is not available via the Fire tablets. I keep hoping for the day that I get a software update that allows access to the Google Play store without me doing anything more than logging into my Google account.

Yes, it’s not all that hard to add Google Play to Fire tablets. It remains a pain in actual operation, though. Auto updates via the Play store conflict with auto updates via the Appstore. This includes, with a supreme touch of irony, the Kindle app included with the Fire tablet. The result is that you really need to turn off auto updates and keep track of what got installed from where. Hard? No. Tedious? Absolutely.

Also, I’ve discovered that speed is a relative thing. My first gen Microsoft Surface Go is generally considered “slow.” Ditto my Fire tablets and the Tab S5e. That’s sort of true, and I can sense it sometimes on startup and during downloads. But for the apps I use, the iPad is not exactly a speed demon. For instance, typing right now, between the iPad Pro, the Surface Go, or the Tab S5e, there would be no speed difference. For the “work” I do on a portable device, there is no speed gap. Indeed, there are times, especially when just navigating around the tablet, when the iPad feels deliberately slowed down.

I’ve made this comment with friends who own iPhones versus my Galaxy S20. All sorts of benchmarks appear to demonstrate that the iPhone is faster, but in actual use you see all sorts of things where it seems slow. There is a setting within Samsung’s OneUI that allows me to speed up animations. I can even activate developer settings and improve animation speeds even more. These are the sorts of things that make the simple, everyday use of the product feel quick, and which the iPhone completely lacks, negating, during use, its theoretical speed advantage.

Which brings me neatly around to what I’m typing on now, my Microsoft Surface Pro X. When it was released, virtually every single review lamented its use of an ARM processor. What I saw in common with each of those reviews was that the complaints centered on Adobe Photoshop, that it ran miserably. This also applied to video editing applications. I found precisely one reviewer who asked, “So?” I asked myself the same question since I do not photo or video edit on a laptop or tablet (I have an overpowered desktop PC for that if I so wish, or use alternatives to Adobe which run fine).

For the most part, that was it; to these reviewers, the Pro X was useless because of one app. Now, it may have been the central app in their work experience, but really, is that applicable to everyone that mind find the Pro X attractive? It’s the next question in that entire “speed” discussion. First, there’s the difference between theoretical speed and the speed you’ll actually see and/or use. Second, there’s the entire evaluation of what applications you use and how much speed those need.

For me, the Pro X is more than fast enough. For me, the Fire tablets are more than fast enough. For me, the sluggishness I often experience with the iPad Pro is irrelevant to just how damn convenient it is.

Does any of this sound applicable to you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Wow, it’s been over a year. What a way to get back to this blog because… Are the films of the MCU getting worse? It’s a serious question because the latest that I’ve seen, Thor: Love and Thunder and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania , are strong arguments that the answer is “yes.” Summary: Ant-Man & Ant-Family get sucked into the quantum realm, where skullduggery is afoot. A load of crap ensues. I’m an Ant-Man fan. I loved the first film despite its flaws. It would have been wonderful to see what Edgar Wright may have wrought. It was clear, though, that replacement director Peyton Reed kept some of Wright’s ideas alive. The result was one of the MCU’s most intimate films, a straight-forward tale of a Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) desperate to remain in his daughter’s life while being “gifted” the life of a superhero. Ant-Man and the Wasp sorta stayed that course, but naturally, because this is the modern MCU, we had to have a female superhero take over, the titular Wasp (Hope van Dyne,

John Wick: Chapter 4

No sense in playing coy, this is a great film. I’ve seen it twice and while I don’t quite love it in the way I love the first, original John Wick , it’s my #2. It’s a little overlong, has some wasted space and time, has one absolutely pointless and useless character, and generally ignores the realities of firefights, falling, getting shot, hit, etc. All that notwithstanding, it’s a great action flick, has a genuine emotional core, and is well worth your time if you’re into that sort of thing. Like I am. Summary: John Wick (Keanu Reeves), last seen saying he was fed up with the High Table, goes to war to obtain his freedom. Some of the most incredible action scenes ever filmed ensue, culminating in a very satisfactory finale and a devastating post-credit scene. The first Wick film was a surprise hit. It was a simple, straight-forward tale of vengeance told in a simple, straight-forward manner. Where it stood out was its devotion to human stunt work, on exploiting long camera shots that

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered.