Skip to main content

How to Train Your Dragon

It was my birthday this past week, and Dreamworks Animation has just delivered this born and bred animation fan a brilliant present called How to Train Your Dragon. A simple story told simply well, it is a joy to behold and I’m straining to say anything vaguely ungood about it.

All right, the supporting cast is rather weak. You’ve met them all before and seen all their antics before (though the one who evaluates dragons in terms of their D&D scores is hilarious). Yes, and so what? Complaining about them is as useful as complaining about the director again using a blue sky during daytime. These are people in the background, given (maybe) a word or two to let you get to know them. So drag out a stock character, let him/her/it scream/speak/bark and voila, the audience understands them immediately.

But enough negativity, on with the oh so very good….

How to Train Your Dragon tells the story of Hiccup, an un-Viking-like boy growing up on an island of rough and tough Vikings. It’s a wonderful island, surrounded by a wonderful sea, populated by wonderful people. It’s a wonderful life.

Which is attacked on a regular basis by wonderful dragons. Er, wonderful to us, the audience. To the Vikings, dragons are a constant threat, a force of nature they are constantly at war with. Other than a few sheep, the impression is that the island’s sole industry is devoted to to this war. Every man, woman, and child learns to fight and kill dragons. All, that is, except Hiccup.

Not that he isn’t trying. He has invented a machine that will let him, scrawny as he is, to take down the most dreaded dragon out there. He does manage to hit the thing, though no one believes him, and in his quest to recovery the body and bring home proof of his success, he discovers things about himself, the dragons, and the very nature of their conflict.

No surprise, but the animation is excellent. The production team brought in acclaimed cinematographer Roger Deakins as a visual consultant. The result, when combined with all the animation expertise on hand, is an animated film that’s “lit” more like a live-action film. As a bonus, it’s filled with stunning visuals. Really, it all brought a tear to my eye. You don’t quite gasp, but you do hold your breath at the wonder of it all.

The 3D is brilliant. Most 3D films want to throw things at you to exaggerate the 3D effect. A notable exception was Up, which used 3D to lend an amazing sense of altitude to the flying sequences. Dragon takes the Up route and goes further. We’re not floating with balloons here, we’re soaring and roaring with dragons, and the flight sequences are incredible. I have read some critics who say it out-does Avatar, which is embarrassing for that film, but having never seen Avatar, I can’t say.

For How to Train Your Dragon, John Powell has composed his finest work. Toothless (Hiccup’s newfound dragon pal) gets his own musical chord, something you almost feel as well as hear, and it gets woven into the rest to create an aural impression that’s just…fantastic. A single example would be the music playing while Hiccup learns to control Toothless in flight. This being flight test, there are problems, and the music takes us right along on the ride. This sequence represents one of several perfect fusions of the animator’s craft, the 3D effect, and Powell’s music. Takes my breath away, it does.

I know, I’m gushing. So be it. I grew up with animation. If I ever called an animated film a cartoon my dad would smack me. The care and craft that goes into making an animated feature is mind-numbingly complex. When you get to see all of that effort pay off as well as it does here, it seems impossible to go over-the-top with praise.

Needless to say, I recommend seeing How to Train Your Dragon as soon as possible, and most definitely in 3D. I certainly plan on seeing it again, preferably in IMAX 3D. I’ll wear a seatbelt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have I mentioned I saw Monsters vs. Aliens?

It’s possible that Pixar is becoming a blight on the world of animation. Yes, they do some really great work ( The Incredibles , Ratatouille ), but they’ve also done some clunkers ( Cars , Wall-E ). Their greatest sin, though, is that they apparently radiate a variation of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, so that any other animated film – especially if done with CG – is automatically judged inferior. There is some justification to this, but you don’t see every live action film being compared to, say, the films of Ingmar Bergman (well, except by brooding people wearing dark glasses sitting in dim coffee shops smoking clove cigarettes discussing cinema, damn you ). In the traditional film world, it’s accepted that different artists turn out different products. In the animated world, everyone is supposed to match or surpass Pixar, or so it seems. Needless to say, that’s just a crock. Monsters vs Aliens is to your typical Pixar production as Spielberg is to Scorsese. And I h...

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered....

Dune Part 2 (2024)

I have come not to praise Dune but to bury it. I am in a distinct minority. So be it. To explain why, there will be some minor spoilers ahead; sorry. The short version is #NotMyDune. Summary: Picking up where Dune Part 1 left off, we find the young Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) hanging out with the Fremen. Plots to overthrow rival houses and empires ensue. Go here to see what I thought about Dune Part 1 (2021) . Overall, I found it to be technically brilliant, but lacking a human heart, an exercise in frenetic slow motion. D2 is more of the same, though with far more action. Acting-wise, everyone is doing a fine, more than adequate job. Absolutely no one or nothing stands out. The way the characters are written (adapted, actually), their back and forths and interactions, are all weak and unengaging. I generally hate when they speak. I've read the novel a ridiculous number of times, and these films are prompting me to read it again. I understand that trying to translate the n...