Skip to main content

Gonzales v. Carhart

I'm anti-abortion. Have I made that clear before? I am, therefore, in the minority of men, because more men support abortion than do women. Check the surveys. Abortion is sold as a benefit to the woman unready to raise a child, but its major supports are guys wanting to avoid child support payments.

Since I'm anti-abortion, my support for the Court's ruling in Carhart shouldn't be surprising. What surprises me is the uninhibited and irrational hysteria flowing from the MSM and the abortion industry. Is hysteria the new style of politics and discussion? Must be, judging from how much of the media has either responded to or "reported" the responses to the Court's ruling. First, some relevant facts:

  • At least 1,000,000 abortions are performed in the United States each year.
  • At least 90% of those abortions are performed during the first trimester.
  • With Carhart we're dealing with a procedure that involves the remaining 10%.
  • It is, mostly likely, a very small fraction of that 10%.
  • No medical justification has been given for the procedure at issue.

The news always says the ruling deals with "a procedure that opponents call 'partial-birth abortion'". They never say what proponents call it, and they certainly never describe how it's performed. "Partial-birth" precisely describes the procedure. Dilation is induced, the child is partially delivered, killed, and the body is extracted. In medical terms, it's a "dilation and extraction" or D&X; this is the term the Court has used, both in Carhart and earlier cases.

It has a close cousin known as "dilation and evacuation", or D&E. With a D&E, a much more common procedure than D&X, the fetus is chopped up in the womb and then the pieces are evacuated, i.e., sucked out.

The Carhart ruling -- indeed, the very law in question -- doesn't deal with the D&E procedure, or any first trimester abortion method. Right off the bat, therefore, you see that the law is narrowly tailored to leave alone close to 99% of all abortions performed. It focuses on D&X, i.e., partial-birth abortions.

The 2003 Federal ban on partial-birth abortions -- the statute at issue in Carhart -- was based in large part on a Court ruling authored by then-Justice O'Connor. In striking down an earlier ban, her opinion created a road map for the legislature to follow if they wanted to make a Constitutionally valid regulation. They did, and the 2003 statute was born. True to Justice O'Connor's advice, it has now been found to be constitutionally valid.

Senator Reid finds the ruling appalling, which is hilarious given that he voted in favor of the law. Is he saying he deliberately voted for an unconstitutional law?

The complaints are rolling in from the usual crowd, blindly and uncritically supported by the MSM. If the law had been struck down they would be singing the praises and heralding the wisdom of the Court. No one looks at the issue, no one analyzes the ruling. That, you see, would require effort and the application of critical thinking.

Face it, the abortion industry wants nothing less than any abortion at any time for any reason. They are ideologically focused on that result. Since they cannot win that debate before the American public -- which, while generally supporting a right to an abortion, has never supported a right to any abortion at any time for any reason -- they turn to the courts.

Under the abortion industry's framework, any restriction is cause for terror, which reflects their utter lack of understanding of Roe and Casey. Both affirmed the state's ability to regulate abortion to one degree or another; neither said abortion couldn't be regulated. Carhart, in short, upheld that state right, as granted under both Roe and Casey, focusing exclusively on banning the D&X (partial-birth) procedure. It follows Court precedent, especially as expressed in Casey.

A little more honest analysis would be nice. So would a little less hysteria from the pro-abortion side.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have I mentioned I saw Monsters vs. Aliens?

It’s possible that Pixar is becoming a blight on the world of animation. Yes, they do some really great work ( The Incredibles , Ratatouille ), but they’ve also done some clunkers ( Cars , Wall-E ). Their greatest sin, though, is that they apparently radiate a variation of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field, so that any other animated film – especially if done with CG – is automatically judged inferior. There is some justification to this, but you don’t see every live action film being compared to, say, the films of Ingmar Bergman (well, except by brooding people wearing dark glasses sitting in dim coffee shops smoking clove cigarettes discussing cinema, damn you ). In the traditional film world, it’s accepted that different artists turn out different products. In the animated world, everyone is supposed to match or surpass Pixar, or so it seems. Needless to say, that’s just a crock. Monsters vs Aliens is to your typical Pixar production as Spielberg is to Scorsese. And I h...

Dune Part 2 (2024)

I have come not to praise Dune but to bury it. I am in a distinct minority. So be it. To explain why, there will be some minor spoilers ahead; sorry. The short version is #NotMyDune. Summary: Picking up where Dune Part 1 left off, we find the young Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet) hanging out with the Fremen. Plots to overthrow rival houses and empires ensue. Go here to see what I thought about Dune Part 1 (2021) . Overall, I found it to be technically brilliant, but lacking a human heart, an exercise in frenetic slow motion. D2 is more of the same, though with far more action. Acting-wise, everyone is doing a fine, more than adequate job. Absolutely no one or nothing stands out. The way the characters are written (adapted, actually), their back and forths and interactions, are all weak and unengaging. I generally hate when they speak. I've read the novel a ridiculous number of times, and these films are prompting me to read it again. I understand that trying to translate the n...

Rogan

The entire Joe Rogan controversy is an example of the kids being left in charge and the adults refusing to teach them any better. I’m not a regular consumer of podcasts. There are a couple I listen to from time to time, but nothing on a regular basis. While I’ve caught a few minutes of the Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube, I’ve never listened to his podcast. One of the primary reasons for that is that you have to subscribe to Spotify to do so, and I prefer Qobuz, Tidal, or even Amazon Music. Rogan is behind Spotify’s paywall and that’s that. But the nature of the fight is about more than who does or does not listen to Rogan. This fight goes to the very nature of the First Amendment and the fundamental concept of the United States. And yes, I understand that cuts both ways. What’s his name and Joni Mitchell are free to yank their creations from Spotify, no ifs, ands, or buts. I’m not denying their right, I’m questioning their reasons. Rogan talks to people. He does so largely unfiltered....